Wednesday, August 24, 2005

My Hopes, Fears, Dreams - man does that sound cliché

Journal 1-2

My hope for this class is that I won’t feel like I have in previous classes if I get to write within my niche, even if just once. You see, my niche is the hardest genre to break into (so I’m told) – fantasy and sci-fi. My escape from reality and my hope that in being published, others may be able to escape from reality through my work. However, many teachers I’ve encountered are into their own style and some other styles and don’t seem to take fantasy/sci-fi seriously. In fact, some of them even seem to look down on it, as though those types of writings are stupid, or take no strong intellect to do. This might not be true for any of my past teachers for all I know, it’s just a feeling I get from them. I just wish for once is that if I decide to write something along those lines I don’t feel like some outcast, fantasy-geek for doing so. I’m really not. I really do have goals for writing this way, as mentioned above. That is it is just so fun to write.

I think that about does it for hopes. I’m pretty open to everything else because I’m aware that I can’t write within my niche all the time. Besides, moving outside the box will give me more ideas and hopefully some thoughts that I can include elsewhere to make my writing just that much better. I have noticed recently (on a writing spree not too long ago) that I did certain things, syntax-wise that I would like to cut down on by finding alternate ways of conveying what I want. Oh, and showing and telling. I’m always trying to polish on that, and I probably always will be.

Fears…ugh. Group work. Ok, I guess that’s not entirely true. After all, I am into the concept of workshops. It makes sense and it is very beneficial. What better way to improve than to have potential readers, well, read your work, right? So that I’m not bothered about. I was reading about the Writer’s Crawl thing and though I am pretty excited about skipping around outside the classroom, notebook in hand (I do so love notebooks – I got two free from the Alamo and they’re college-ruled, totally blank in that perfect whiteness I’m so fond of – one of them is already my notebook for this class), I don’t know about this whole reading aloud to the group thing. To a certain degree I’m pretty private about the intricacies of my writing, whether it’s just some random words on a page or one of my books. I don’t know. I think I’ll just have to wait it out and see. It’s not really a fear. It’s just not one of my favorite things to do. I’m a lone wolf. Always have been, but that’s a long story in itself...

Expectations, hmm…. Just a lot of writing really. I have about 20 books to read for other classes, so the amount of drafts has me just a little concerned, but I’m sure I’ll be able to work through it. In fact, I think this will be the first time in any class or anything on my own where I will have written over 3 drafts for one piece of material. I know it’s a bad thing, but I’ve never really been into drafts, just like I was never into dark shading in art class. But oh well. I’m a hard worker. In the end, three pieces = cake. Whoo! =)

No comments: